The Sand Mountain Rib Shootout will be held at the Historic Train Depot downtown and will include prize payouts of the following:
Rules & Information:
Sand Mountain Rib Shoot-Out
Set-Up & Rules
Entry fee $100.00
Registration at www.albertvillechamberofcommerce.com
Friday afternoon set up is allowed:
- 1st Place $500.00 + Split entry fee totals with Charity + authentic Fire Hydrant trophy
- 2nd Place $250.00
- 3rd Place $100.00
Saturday arrival and vehicle parking:
- Set-up cooking area will be open on Friday, June 2, 2023, between 5-6pm Cookers will set up in the parking lot beside the Albertville Train Depot (310 Sand Mountain Drive) beside the Chamber building. Spots will be on a first come, first served basis. Please check in at the Depot upon arrival.
- Security will be provided in the festival and cooking area overnight, but you are responsible for your own property.
- Teams are responsible for providing all tents, tables, chairs and other equipment needed in the cooking area.
- No stakes are to be driven into the street.
- PLEASE park as close as possible to your neighbor…space is tight.
- Quiet generators are allowed in the cook area. No Power provided. Hand was stations will be provided at the restroom trailers. There is a restroom inside the Depot also. Please bring water for your site clean up.
Security and Safety:
- Teams can enter at 7am and must have cooking area set-up by 8am
- Enter on Sand Mountain Drive beside the Chamber Please check in at the Depot upon arrival. *Please note that all downtown streets will be closed. This entrance will be the only way into the cook area.
- After you set up your cooking site on Saturday morning, all vehicles must park OUTSIDE the cooking/festival area.
- Vehicles are not allowed back in the cook area until after awards on Saturday. The event runs until 9pm so all streets will still be closed but cook teams can exit on Sand Mountain Drive.
- Albertville Police officers will provide security Friday night for festival vendors and teams, but you are responsible for any equipment left on site.
The Albertville Fire Department will be present to handle any potential fire hazard
during the event but you are required to have a “K” fire extinguisher.
Rib Shoot-Out Schedule:
5:00-6:00pm Check in / Set up
7:00-8:00am Check in / Set up
8:00am Cooks Meeting in judges area (Depot)
3:00-3:30pm Rib Turn in (Depot)
5:00pm Awards Stage by Depot
Rib Shoot-Out Competition Rules:
On Saturday, June 3, cooks shall report at 8:00am to the Depot /Judges area
for a cooks meeting to briefly discuss rules, answer questions, and pick up turn-in trays. Trays will be approximately
9” x 14”
Each team is required to cook St. Louis style pork ribs. Ribs can NOT
be pre seasoned or marinated before meat inspection. They must be sealed in original packaging.
You can begin seasoning and cooking your ribs at any time after ribs have been inspected. Cook teams provide all seasonings and “special” ingredients. Cook teams may use any type of fuel designed for grills or smokers.
Please handle food in a sanitary manner using cooking utensils and gloves that you bring.
Ribs turned in for judging after 3:30 will be disqualified.
Ribs are judged based on these scoring Criteria.
Highest possible score is 100
Appearance 20 points- Does it look appetizing? Does it make you want to take a bite?
Taste 30 points- Is it seasoned well? Do you like the flavors used?
Tenderness/Texture 20 points- Is it smooth or Grainy? Mushy or Chewy? Tender or Succulent?
Moisture 20 points- Is dry or Juicy?
Creativity 10 points
This is not a sanctioned contest and there will be a mix of certified and celebrity judges.
- Place 1 FULL SLAB CUT on the judge’s turn-in tray.
- Garnishes are allowed! We want you to use your imagination and show off your creative skills for the judges. Remember the theme of the festival is Made on the Mountain so that would be a fun take on your presentation.
- Deliver your turn-in to the judges area at the Depot between 3:00-3:30 pm
- Cook teams are allowed to give away samples of their ribs to the public
For questions and any additional information
contact Lynn Entrekin 256-891-7592